Greetings and Happy Holidays everyone! This time of year, we are usually inundated with “holiday survival tips”, as if the holidays were a natural disaster that we need to “batten down the hatches” in order to live through. Here in the NYC area, that is no longer something to be taken lightly. After Hurricane Sandy ravaged our area, we now have a fuller appreciation for what we have and the people in our community.
Now, more than ever, I like to think of ways that I can prepare to fully enjoy the holiday season. Here are 6 ways to move towards being truly present for the events that may occur in the coming weeks.
- Remember that the holidays are a state of mind…not a limited engagement. There is no expiration date on connecting with friends and family, being generous with those who need support in your life and being open to the youthful wonder of the season. You can partake in these qualities all year round! Remembering this will help you resist the temptation to try to cram in all your celebrating in an exhausting few weeks. You can also enjoy small amounts of your favorite holiday at anytime, anywhere.
- Breathe. Breathing consciously helps you be fully present, staves off anxiety and just feels really good. Our Energy Kinesiologist, Heike Zelnhefer, encourages us to “try breathing in joy, harmony, love and peace. Breathe out anything that no longer serves you. This infuses more joy and awareness into our lives and upgrades the quality of the energy we take in.”
- Take time for the daily rituals that ground you. Our Nutritionist and Practice Manager, Judy Penta, lets us in on her personal routine: “I start each day with a good sweat from my workout, a prayer of gratitude and the mantra ‘everything passes’”. No matter what type of daily routine you have – a healthy breakfast, connecting with a loved one, personal care routines – find a way to incorporate them into your day even during travel to keep your body, mind and spirit fresh and aligned.
- Celebrate with the people who inspire you. Just as you have learned to make healthy choices around food, friends and work, choose to celebrate the holidays with people who you find it easy and comfortable to be around. If you’re far away from those people, technology such as Skype, instant messenger, text and (of course) good old fashioned phone calls are great ways to stay connected. Our Supplements Adviser, Leah Barber, says “Staying connected with people I love and feel safe with helps me move through the emotions of holidays.”
- Be kind to yourself. Just as you may have been trying to be “on your best behavior” around relatives or other people that you feel challenged by around the holidays, be “on your best behavior” towards yourself. Did you let a snarky comment slip to your mother-in-law? Let it go. Did you eat a few too many of your favorite desserts? Forgive yourself. Over-cook the turkey? Let yourself off the hook.
- Give yourself the gift of health. If you go into the holidays already feeling unbalanced, you may be setting yourself up for a rough time. Just like you might clean your home before company arrives, take time to spruce up your health before the holidays. This means getting a physical examination if you haven’t had one in over a year. It also means checking in about your mental and emotional health with a professional if you feel that may be appropriate. Getting well supported around all aspects of your health can help you look and feel great, allowing for much more time and space to enjoy the best of the holiday season.
Are you ready to get your health ready for the holidays? Partner with one of our holistic medical doctors to evaluate your physical, mental and emotional health. They’ll help you create a plan to get balanced so you can feel the joy and wonder of the season.
Mention this article to get $25 off your office visit with one of our holistic medical doctors before December 31st, 2012. Learn more about Patients Medical by calling the number below or visiting www.patientsmedical.com.
By: Dr. Rashmi Gulati
800 Second Ave, Suite 900
New York, NY 10017